Equal Voice is a national, bilingual, multi-partisan organization dedicated to electing more women to all levels of political office in Canada.
Equal Voice regards the equal representation of women in Canada’s Parliament, in our provincial/territorial legislatures, and on municipal and band councils, as a fundamental question of fairness for women in terms of their access to Canada’s democratic institutions.
Founded in 2001, Equal Voice brings women and men together from across the political spectrum in its nine chapters across the country. They include chapters in: British Columbia, Alberta (south and north), Ontario (Toronto and Ottawa), Saskatchewan, three of the four Atlantic provinces (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, and New Brunswick), as well as a dynamic national youth chapter. .
The Equal Voice National Advisory Board includes some of Canada’s most prominent women politicians – all groundbreakers in their time – representing three political parties.
Equal Voice promotes the election of women by:
- Working with all political parties to increase the nominations of women candidates;
- Promoting electoral and other changes that would increase the numbers of women in politics;
- Conducting outreach with young women to inspire and engage them in politics as a future career choice;
- Encouraging women to run for office through programs such as our comprehensive, bilingual on-line campaign school;
- Raising awareness about the impact of women’s under-representation;
- Celebrating women in politics; and
- Communicating and implementing EV’s goals and activities through innovative programming, Equal Voice’s chapters, our dynamic website, regular newsletters, media releases, Twitter and Facebook activity, and by hosting major events.
Visit the website: www.equalvoice.ca