“Diversity is a fact. Inclusion is a choice”
On April 28th, 2016, we hosted the Women of Influence Luncheon Series in downtown Toronto, featuring a panel of Women in Wealth. We sat down with Zabeen Hirji, Charyl Galpin, and Colleen Johnston to hear about their rise to the tops of Canada’s leading financial institutions.
What we learned:
- Charyl Galpin’s advice for work-life balance? Set boundaries. Charyl made it a priority to be home every night for dinner with her family, and organized her work life accordingly.
- “Judge success by your own standards”, was Zabeen’s piece of advice for maintaining a healthy career perspective.
- How has the corporate landscape changed for women? Colleen reflected on the lack of female role models in the financial industry when she began her career, but is thrilled at the number of women now entering the field and holding senior ranks.
- Charyl spoke of how she has changed the frame of reference for how she thinks of her career. When making decisions, she consults Charyl Galpin Inc.
- How did Zabeen overcome gender bias in the workplace to kickstart her career? She spoke up and made herself known to a recruiter when her boss told her that she wouldn’t be considered for a new role.
- The importance of sounding boards. Colleen reminded us that women tend to take things more personally. We need a good sounding board in order to keep perspective on what’s in front of us.
- What do these corporate leaders do for fun? Charyl knits, Zabeen practices yoga, and you can often find Colleen checking out a new restaurant.
Congratulations to Cathy Cobey of E&Y! Concluding the afternoon events, we announced the winner of our VIP Membership Experience Giveaway. Thanks to the generous contributions from our sponsors, Cathy has access to a spot at the short-format executive education programs offered by the Smith School of Business, a one month executive membership at the Adelaide Club courtesy of the Cambridge Group of Clubs, and back up child care from Kids & Company.
Photography by Tom Sandler Photography