Nominees must meet all eligibility criteria in order to apply for the 27th annual RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards. To confirm your eligibility, please ensure you meet the following criteria. If you have additional questions, please email us at [email protected] for more information.
– Certain eligibility criteria do not factor in if you are applying to the Social Change Award and the Ones to Watch Award
– Please review additional criteria that applies to each specific Award category
In essence: if the partnership were to break up, would the woman entrepreneur retain control of the company? If so, she is eligible to apply.
Proof of meeting these criteria can be indicated in the application within the business plan section.
Read on to determine which Award Category is the best fit for your business at this time and get inspired by recent winners and finalists.
Ones to Watch Award Presented by Freshco.ca
This award recognizes five entrepreneurs who may not meet the criteria for the other awards but who demonstrate incredible potential through their innovative ideas, keen business sense and solid plans for future profitable growth. The award is open to those who have been in business more than 1 but fewer than 3 years.
Recent Recipients of the Ones to Watch Award
• Kate Latos, Ecofence and Decking Ltd. – 2018
• Jessica Ching, Eve Medical – 2018
• Humera Malik, Canvass Analytics – 2018
• Thao Nguyen, Bonbon Collections Ltd. – 2018
• Sonja Mills & Alicia MacDonald, Port Rexton Brewing Company Ltd. – 2018
Micro-Business Award presented by Diversity Institute & Magnet Export Business Portal
This award honors entrepreneurs who own and operate small businesses that generate annual revenues of under $1 million. The applicant’s business is in any industry, at any stage and in any region, and must demonstrate a successful growth rate on the micro level.
Recent Winners of the Micro-Business Award
• Glain Roberts-McCabe, The Round Table, Toronto, ON – 2018
• Geneviève Lévesque, Artêria Gallery, Bromont, QC – 2017
• Isabelle Primeau & Marie-Helene Primeau, Premier Continuum Inc., Montreal, QC – 2016
• Sharon Vinderine, PTPA Media Inc., Mississauga, ON – 2015
• Penney Murphy, Penney Murphy & Associates, Saskatoon, SK – 2014
This award celebrates the achievements of an entrepreneur who, in a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years, has developed her business into one that’s ready for the next level of growth. The recipient has been successful in building a profitable business since its inception, and can share a comprehensive and sustainable business plan.
Recent Winners of the Start-Up Award
• Joanna Griffiths, Knix, Toronto, ON – 2018
• Trina Bailey, Bailey Veterinary Surgical Specialty Ltd., Mount Pearl, NL – 2017
• Angela Marotta & Melissa Paolicelli, Two Sisters Vineyard, Niagara Region, ON – 2016
• Dr. Wendy McClelland, Vets to Go Inc., Calgary, AB – 2015
• Mia Pearson, North Strategic, Toronto, ON – 2014
• Lisa Tuningley, President, T-RAIL Products Inc., Surrey BC – 2013
RBC Momentum Award
This entrepreneur has successfully capitalized on opportunities to deliver 10% or more growth, year-over-year for three years or more. Through expanded management, empowered employees, and demonstrated excellence, she has created a flexible and responsive business that is able to adapt to changing market environments and leverage opportunities for continued growth.
Recent Winners of the RBC Momentum Award
• Dr. Marjorie Dixon, Anova Fertility, Toronto, ON – 2018
• Mandy Rennehan, Freschco.ca, Oakville, ON – 2017
• Kate Ross Leblanc, Saje Natural Wellness, Vancouver, BC – 2016
• Allison Grafton, Rockwood Custom Homes, Calgary, AB – 2015
• Kyle MacDonald, Phoenix Interactive Design, London, ON – 2014
• Victoria Sopik & Jennifer Nashmi, Kids & Company, Toronto, ON – 2013
Social Change Award
Awarding an exceptional leader of a registered charity, social enterprise or not-for-profit that is dedicated to their unique brand of social change. Applicants have garnered extraordinary support from the community by being champions for philanthropy and volunteerism in Canada.
Recent Winners of the Social Change Award
• Latha Sukumar, MCIS Language Solutions, Toronto, ON – 2018
• Melissa Sariffodeen, Ladies Learning Code, Toronto, ON – 2017• Jennifer Flanagan, Actua, Toronto, ON, Vancouver BC – 2016
• Marcia Nozick, Eastside Movement for Business and Economic Renewal Society (EMBERS), Vancouver, BC – 2015
• Jennifer Gillivan, IWK Foundation, Halifax, NS – 2014
TELUS Trailblazer Award
This entrepreneur is a true trendsetter. She has recognized a new market, product, service, technological advancement or opportunity and led the way. She has demonstrated outstanding leadership within her company and her market and she has set standards for originality, quality and successful management.
Recent Winners of the TELUS Trailblazer Award
• Toni Desrosiers, Abeego, Victoria, BC – 2018
• Claudia Sjoberg, The Pedalheads Group, Vancouver, BC – 2017
• Eva Sun, The Rice People, Richmond, BC
• Janice Larocque, Spirit Staffing and Consulting Inc., Calgary, AB – 2015
• Jennifer Carlson, Baby Gourmet, Calgary, AB – 2014
• Shannon Rogers, Global Relay, Vancouver, BC – 2013
Excellence in Entrepreneurship Award
Through timely innovation, strategic thinking and smart execution, the recipient of this award has built and managed one or more successful businesses over a period of 10 years. With a proven track record of growth, profitability, and industry leadership, this entrepreneur’s exploits have generated an uncommon degree of economic growth, and she has shown to possess the drive, managerial acumen and leadership traits that others aspire to have. Past finalists in this category have annual revenues in excess of $30M+.
Recent Winners of the Award for Excellence in Entrepreneurship
• Victoria Sopik & Jennifer Nashmi, Kids and Company, Richmond Hill, ON – 2018
• Janet Zuccarini, Gusto 54 Restaurant Group, Toronto, ON – 2017
• Kathy Gregory, Paradigm Quest Inc., Toronto, ON – 2016
• Ann Kaplan, iFinance Canada Inc., Toronto, ON – 2015
• Julie Cole, Cynthia Esp, Tricia Mumby, Julie Ellis, Mabel’s Labels, Hamilton, ON – 2014
Still unsure if you’re eligible? Trying to decide which category you should apply for? We’re here to help!