It is vital to Canada’s future economic development and prosperity that entrepreneurs, particularly women entrepreneurs, be encouraged and cultivated.
The RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards provide national recognition to Canada’s women entrepreneurs, whose successful businesses and achievements contribute so much to the Canadian and global economies as well as to their own communities.
By honouring these entrepreneurs, we help to:
- Advance their business and personal networks
- Provide significant profile and visibility for them and their businesses
- Create additional opportunities to actively participate on for-profit and non-profit boards, government committees and/or industry associations
- Increase the number of role models and mentors for all entrepreneurs, both male and female
The Awards Program
- To date, over 19,000 women ranging from their early 20s to their mid-eighties, from every sector of the economy, have been nominated for these awards.
- 106 Awards have been presented for outstanding entrepreneurial achievement in the area of Start-up, Innovation, Momentum, Trailblazer, Impact, and Excellence.
- With revenues ranging from $250,000 to over $500 million we are also seeing an increase in the number of female entrepreneurs succeeding in ‘non-traditional’ industries such as finance, film, construction, oil and gas, and transportation.
The Facts about Women Entrepreneurs
- One of the fastest growing business segments in Canada
- Canadian firms run by women, create new jobs at four times the rate of the national average, collectively providing more jobs than the Canadian Top 100 companies combined
- Women are creating not just jobs, but entire companies, at double the rate of the national average
- The number of women with incorporated businesses more than doubled during the last decade
- There are 821,000 self employed women contributing $18 Billion to the Canadian economy
Not sure which category to apply for? Watch the Past Winners videos to see what made them extraordinary.
The Deloitte Start-Up Award
This award celebrates the achievements of a woman who, in a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years, has developed her business into one that is ready for the next level of growth. Since starting the business, the recipient has been successful in building a profitable business and a comprehensive and sustainable business plan.
The HUB HKMB Impact Award
This award salutes an entrepreneur’s impact on the local economy. In developing or expanding her business, the applicant has contributed significantly to the development of her local economy through such things as creating jobs, encouraging others in the community to do the same and is encouraging the economic prosperity and development of local citizens.
The RBC Momentum Award
This entrepreneur has successfully overcome obstacles and capitalized on opportunities to deliver 10% or more growth, year-over-year, for more than three years. Through expanded management, empowered employees, and demonstrated excellence, she has created a flexible and responsive business that is able to adapt to changing market environments and leverage opportunities for continued growth.
TPH Sustainability Award
Awarding a business for its proven dedication to incorporate environmentally conscious initiatives from Recycling Programs to Hazardous Waste Management into their own corporation’s everyday operations, and/or by providing solutions for their customers to decrease their own carbon footprint. From saving energy to reducing waste, this entrepreneur’s dedication to social responsibility as a key element of long term growth and success, is an inspiration and leading Canada’s green movement.
The TELUS Trailblazer Award
This entrepreneur is a true trendsetter. She has recognized a new market, product, technological advancement or opportunity and led the way. She has demonstrated outstanding leadership both within her company and her market, set the standards for originality, quality and successful management. She is a mentor, a visionary, a leader, a successful businesswoman and in all elements a trailblazer in her field.
The PROFIT Award for Excellence in Entrepreneurship
Through timely innovation, strategic thinking and smart execution, the recipient has launched and built one or more successful companies with a track record of growth and profitability, industry leadership or breaking new ground. This pre-eminent entrepreneur possesses the drive,managerial acumen and leadership traits that others aspire to have, and has positioned herself for future achievement. She is a role model for all those who believe in the power of entrepreneurship, whose exploits have generated an uncommon degree of economic growth and social change.